I spent my day off of school having a self-proclaimed Galentine’s Day (if you don’t know what it is, check out the TV show Parks and Rec). After spending 72 straight hours with high school students, I needed some adult time-stat. My day comprised of drinking coffee in pajamas, eating breakfast at a leisurely pace, working out when I wanted to, getting my nails done, and watching a movie while it rained this afternoon. I decided to end my day today with a light, bright, and flavorful dinner that I would feel good about cooking and eating. Just because today was a “cheat” day or “vacation” day, doesn’t mean that I wanted to give up on my resolution.
Enter Coconut Chicken Salad: This flavorful meal took less than 30 minutes to prepare, and it packs a flavor punch. What I really loved about this was how SIMPLE it was to get the meal assembled. None of the ingredients were out of the ordinary or hard to locate. This recipe makes at least 6 servings and cost less that $10 to assemble the whole meal. If you’re looking to enjoy that coconut fried flavor, but you don’t want the guilt of a deep-fried meal, try this out. As I was eating, I thought about how well this would work with shrimp, tilapia, etc instead of chicken without any added fuss.
Coconut Chicken Salad
- Chicken tenders (2-3 per serving)
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- Salad greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, etc as desired
- Assemble the dressing. Whisk all dressing ingredients together. Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Leave out on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- In one shallow baking dish, beat the egg whites. In another shallow dish, combine panko, coconut, and a pinch of salt.
- Season the chicken with salt, dredge in egg wash, coat in coconut mix, and place on baking tray.
- Spray the top of chicken with cooking spray and bake 15 minutes. Flip over, and bake another 15 minutes.
- To serve: dress the greens and veg with the dressing to taste. Remove chicken from oven and serve over greens to slightly wilt the salad.