This recipe is a shout-out to one my mom found a few years ago. I can’t remember which site or magazine we borrowed this from, but whatever it was- it’s amazing. It all started because my mom was looking for a quick steak taco recipe which would pack a flavor punch. Although it seems small in ingredient numbers, this is moist, flavorful taco to the extreme.
The original recipe calls for a grilled steak, which is great if it’s not snowing and cold and you don’t live in an apartment like I do. I opted to use my trusty cassoulet instead with some olive oil. It got the same great sear marks on high heat without over or under cooking the steak. For those who have not sliced flank steak before, there are a few reminders to follow:
- Don’t over cook the steak! This is steak designed to be seared hot and high on the outside while maintaining a warm, red, moist center.
- Slice against the grain of the meat
- Slice the meat thin- like paper thin. This will build the best taco
I also love this recipe because it is pretty much no prep and only 1 pot. Plus it’s done cooking in under 15 minutes. So really- talk about perfect weeknight meal.
Perfect Steak Tacos
- 1lb flank steak, trimmed of fat and silverskin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large bag or bowl, combine all ingredients. Let steak marinate for several hours
- Get a pan or grill SCREAMING hot. When hot, add a tablespoon of oil
- Sear steak on both sides for 5-7 minutes each (closer to 5 if your steak is about 1/2 inch thick, 7 if about an inch thick)
- Pull steak and let it rest 4-5 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve in tortillas.
Possible toppings: Fresh lime, avocado, pico de gallo, taco sauce/salsa, cheese, rice, etc. This will come out closely resembling the flavors of Chipotle’s steak option.