I’m headed out of town on several weekend trips coming up in the next few weeks. As such, I am trying to find dishes which can use up bits and pieces from left over ingredients without having to search out and add a bunch of other specialty ingredients. When I was looking for a warm, easy dish for this dreary day, I stumbled upon this “rice” and chicken dish. I put rice in quotes for one key reason- this entire dish is gluten free. The rice in this actually cauliflower. Little did I know that cauliflower comes frozen, cooked, and pre-riced so that all I have to do is dump it into a dish for instant rice. And it was the same price as fresh cauliflower- with a lot less work. With the flavorful sauce, veggies, and olives, you couldn’t even tell the difference. Try it out if you’re looking for a great 30 minute supper!
Arroz con Pollo
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Sazon seasoning (store bought ore homemade) — I skipped the achite, and it was fine!
- 12 oz bag Green Giant Riced Cauliflower Medley (use Green Giant Riced Cauliflower as well)
- 2 tablespoons pitted green olives, 1 tablespoon brine
- Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon oregano and black pepper.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add 1/2 teaspoon of oil and sauté the chicken until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. Wipe the skillet.
- Heat remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons oil in skillet, then add onions, peppers, garlic and cilantro. Sauté, stirring about 2 minutes. Add water, tomato paste, sazon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and return the chicken to the skillet. Cover and cook on medium-low heat 30 minutes, turning half way, until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add the Green Giant Riced Veggies, increase heat to medium-high and stir well, return the chicken to the skillet, add the olives with a little of the brine (liquid) from the olive jar, cover and simmer until heated through, about 6 minutes.